Skip to main content

Finding peace of mind on a bike

           Christmas away from my children
                        school shootings                Sean                    bills      
                                      laundry           war              schedule                  lesson plans                                                         not running        package to mail         presents to purchase        hurtful words
                  poor choices                                  Afghanistan

"SHUT UP!"
I yell to all the thoughts swirling in my head.
They do not quiet.
They are always there.
Ideas for new lessons in hopes of engaging students,
What life is like for Sean half a world away,
When will I hear from him again?
Oh no! I need to remember to mail his package.
What must it be like for those 27 families in CT as they prepare for Christmas?
Do I have all the presents I need to get?
What will Christmas be like without the girls?
Laundry, dishes, vacuuming
I drive on in search of some peace of mind.

I follow his bike to get to the one I will ride.
Six months since I last rode - a 250 in class
Never riding the road on anything more than a scooter.
Pulling into the driveway, a Honda Shadow greets me.
Trepidation and excitement fills me.
Will I remember everything I learned?
He starts up the bike.
The roar of the pipes drowns out everything on my mind.
The drills begin -
First the driveway clutch exercises,
down to the stop sign to practice a slow turn,
around the block for shifting, stopping, and starting,
Each step of the way, my teacher guiding me.
 
And then, a longer ride
on a bigger road
the wind in my face
blowing away all my worries
back much too soon
plans to do it again the next day.
 
Driving home
feeling like I could take on the world
 knowing I needed to make the bike mine.
For the freedom and peace of mind riding brings
is better than any drug a doctor can prescribe.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aging sucks.....or does it?

Upon first thought, watching a parent age sucks. Unnoticeable at first. A bit of a stoop, some creaking in the knees, whitening of the hair. The doctor’s visits begin, as do the pills One for high blood pressure, another to thin the blood, and a handful of vitamins to top it off. The signs are there, but it is easier to see him as he has always been. My father, a pillar of strength. Until my pillar was knocked off-kilter. A simple surgery and the mortality of my father looked me square in the eye when the drugs took hold of his brain. Amidst his fidgeting and confusion, I realized…AGING SUCKS! And then….enlightenment dawned upon me….AGING IS BEAUTIFUL Wrinkles tell of smiles while silver hair speaks a life of memories. Knees creaky after years of kneeling in prayer, offering up a lap, and climbing up the stairs for one more kiss goodnight. Almost forty-eight years of memories nestled in my heart. Memories of my father. Taking us to church each Sunday Building and fixing ...

My Top 10 of 2010

At the stroke of midnight 2010, I was in New York City celebrating the year with a bunch of teachers from Uganda. I looked around me wondering how my life had gotten so good. My life was turning out quite different from the way I planned it 30 years before. Little did I know that 2010 was the year my life would begin anew. The year of reconnections. 10. The Unexpected From chickens to unemployment, private school to public school, house of four to a house of two, Sean moving back and a pimping Caddy, the unexpected continued throughout the year. It began with Stu Pecker Feathers, the chicken that wandered into our yard in the middle of the city of Pueblo. Stu found herself a place to roost and laid a dozen eggs before we said goodbye. As the school year ended, I found myself questioning if private school was where I wanted to be and Tony found himself out of a job. I found myself living in North Carolina with Patti, while Tony lived in New Hampshire with Sana. Surprisingly, Patti thriv...

My Curtain Call

As I awake today, reality is starting to set in. The adrenaline rush of the decision to resign with no job has subsided as I think about the last two days of goodbyes. Packing should have been taking place. It wasn’t. Instead, I was assuring parents that their children would be fine without me. “But you are the heart and the soul of the middle school,” they kept saying. In reality, the four of us that made up the team were the magic of it all. A team that I can honestly say is the best team I have ever worked with in all my years of teaching: Scarlet, Mickey, and Jed. We were there for each other, and they continued to be there for me throughout my struggle contemplating what to do. They supported me in my ultimate decision to leave. When I handed in my letter of resignation, they were with me (Scarlet in spirit, the boys in the flesh) so I wouldn’t have to be alone. As the last of my stuff was being packed, Mickey turned to me and said, “You know this means you aren’t going to b...