Skip to main content

Taking time to remember


Memorial Day. A long anticipated three-day weekend. I will be riding and going to a baseball game today. Enjoying time with family and friends. Yet thoughts of those who gave it all are permeating through it all.

For Sean and his unit, it is another day at war. Not only will they be remembering their brothers-in-arms, especially Staff Sgt Rayvon Battle, they will be driving over to another FOB to pick up a truck that was being worked on. A simple drive to the garage. Except it’s not. Combat driving is the way Sean put it. They will gear up, get their guns at the ready, and do what is necessary. Knowing they will be shot at. Not knowing the outcome.

The last time I saw (as in Skyped) Sean, it was Mother’s Day. A firefight could be heard in the distance. I think about the mothers who are remembering their sons today. The Gold Star Mothers. I cannot even imagine what it was like for them to have that uniformed soldier knock at the door.

Ma’am on behalf of the Army I regret to inform you that your son was killed in action in Afghanistan this morning as a result of wounds received in hostile action.

Too many mothers (wives, sons, daughters, grandparents, friends, etc) have heard those words. Today is the day we pay them homage. Today we remember. Today we are thankful for all they have done. They paid the ultimate price. It is our duty to remember that. To enjoy the freedoms and liberties we have been given.

I will be going to a Memorial Day Ceremony today. I will reach out to those who know the cost of being in the military. I will remember. Not just today, but every day. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 10 of 2010

At the stroke of midnight 2010, I was in New York City celebrating the year with a bunch of teachers from Uganda. I looked around me wondering how my life had gotten so good. My life was turning out quite different from the way I planned it 30 years before. Little did I know that 2010 was the year my life would begin anew. The year of reconnections. 10. The Unexpected From chickens to unemployment, private school to public school, house of four to a house of two, Sean moving back and a pimping Caddy, the unexpected continued throughout the year. It began with Stu Pecker Feathers, the chicken that wandered into our yard in the middle of the city of Pueblo. Stu found herself a place to roost and laid a dozen eggs before we said goodbye. As the school year ended, I found myself questioning if private school was where I wanted to be and Tony found himself out of a job. I found myself living in North Carolina with Patti, while Tony lived in New Hampshire with Sana. Surprisingly, Patti thriv...

Aging sucks.....or does it?

Upon first thought, watching a parent age sucks. Unnoticeable at first. A bit of a stoop, some creaking in the knees, whitening of the hair. The doctor’s visits begin, as do the pills One for high blood pressure, another to thin the blood, and a handful of vitamins to top it off. The signs are there, but it is easier to see him as he has always been. My father, a pillar of strength. Until my pillar was knocked off-kilter. A simple surgery and the mortality of my father looked me square in the eye when the drugs took hold of his brain. Amidst his fidgeting and confusion, I realized…AGING SUCKS! And then….enlightenment dawned upon me….AGING IS BEAUTIFUL Wrinkles tell of smiles while silver hair speaks a life of memories. Knees creaky after years of kneeling in prayer, offering up a lap, and climbing up the stairs for one more kiss goodnight. Almost forty-eight years of memories nestled in my heart. Memories of my father. Taking us to church each Sunday Building and fixing ...

Fiery Passion

It is 10:44am on Wednesday morning. I sit here in a darkened classroom with no power. During the last 24 hours I have walked a student down to the office with a big knot on her head as the result of a fight; counseled the other half of the fight on different choices she could have made; been an object of a discussion between two teachers; backed my car into a ditch; and restrained a girl. Oh, yeah, and I taught about Civil Rights a bit also. My life continues to be an adventure! Fast forward nine hours. My day at school has come to a close giving me a few moments to sit and reflect on the adventure of the last day and a half. I continue to contemplate what could be done to teach the girls how to embrace the fiery passion they have within rather than to let it out through fighting. Let’s take a walk back through time….. In every other school I have taught in, teachers have a lunch break. This is not the case at BMS. Teachers eat with the students, albeit at a separate table. We...