Skip to main content

I did it!


To Do List
Move into apartment
Hang pictures
Buy table and chairs
Fix tub drain
Fix motorcycle 

In the past when I needed to do anything on the list above, I let somebody else do it for me. When I was young, it began with my father. After I got married, it was my husband. I don’t know where I got the message that a man needed to take care of things for me. This week, MANdie took care of things.

I know there are people out there who would have helped me with anything on the list, but the sense of satisfaction when I took a shower and wasn’t standing in water up to my knees was so much more rewarding than if a friend came to rescue me.

Originally, I asked friends to help me with the move. My impatience made me do it myself. Everyone who could help was working during the day. I had the key. I wanted to be in my own space. Within an hour, I had my girls and my car packed with my first load. We three girls lugged it all upstairs. We did it a few more times until everything was here. Pictures were hung shortly after. At the end of the day as I sat down in my lawn chairs, I looked around as a feeling of satisfaction took over.

The best on-my-own activity, by far, was fixing my bike. I am not mechanically inclined in the least. Yesterday, I went to ride only to have the nylon sleeve on the throttle spin around. It was Sunday. I had to wait to get some answers. Patience is not one of my virtues. Today, I learned how to fix it. I went and got hair spray and electrical tape and I was ready to do what I could have paid a mechanic to do. When I was done, I had to wait a couple of hours before I knew if it worked. I started her up. The sound of the pipes is music to my ears. I could listen to it all day. Today as I revved her before riding off, a sense of pride filled me. I FIXED IT!

I don’t know what I will get to fix next. I hope to learn how to do an oil change on both my bike and my car. The stairs leading to my apartment have a few steps that need boards to be replaced. I am hoping my landlord lets me have some of the fun. The sense of satisfaction that comes from doing repairs is another part of being on my own that makes me smile.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to