Skip to main content

WABDR: Section 1

Section 1 
We end at the beginning 

Does it feel like this trip will never end? Epic adventures tend to last a bit longer than just an average one. So….on with our tale. 

We got our bikes all packed up and continued over White Pass. The first time we went over it, it was a cloudy day. Thus, the visibility of the mountains was not much. I was expecting the same on our return trip to Packwood. Therefore, it took my breath away when I saw the mountain off in the distance for the first time. The beauty was so overwhelming, I teared up. 
 
I continued to watch the mountain until I could see it no more. Soon we were in Packwood. Back where we started. After a quick breakfast at the local coffee shop, we were on our way.
I may have taken a few minutes to ride the big bike first…
Not too long though, because someone was ready to get moving. 
Jennifer had some friends that were camping at Walupt Lake, which is right on the trail for Section 1. The plan was to find them and visit for a while before heading on our way. We waited...they never showed. Come to find out, they decided to camp elsewhere. Without a cell signal, it was difficult to get the information. So we enjoyed the lake for a bit.
Before too long we were back on the trail to the next lake….Horseshoe Lake. Another stop to enjoy nature.
It was to be a day of lakes. Jennifer’s kids were camping at Tahkhlac Lake as were several other people. The campground was full. Because we were not allowed to cramp their style, we stayed long enough to visit, watch them prepare a meal of MREs, and get some pictures. 
Soon we were searching for a place to stop for the day ourselves. We ended up at Trout Creek Campground. Once again, I tried to get pictures of the sunset. However, we were too far in a valley to see the painting of the sky. 
To bed I went. It was my first experience sleeping in a hammock. I was rather sad when no deer awoke me like they did Jennifer in Conconully.  No worries. It was a great night of sleep. 
We were up and on the trail early the next day. But first, a quick side trip to the ice caves. 

The ice caves are naturally formed and still had snow in them! Needless to say, we did not have the majority of recommended safety items. We went in anyway. Check out the ice crystal still hanging from the cave.
I went on exploring the smaller caves while Jennifer filled our tanks with our reserve gas. I am so glad she was paying attention to the details! Standing outside of each cave was like standing outside a freezer. Cool air greeted me at each one.
Right down the road was a sign for natural bridges. We stopped. I am sure it will be no surprise to anyone that I did not walk over them. It wasn’t as big of a drop-off that I had been dealing with. But it was enough that I would admire it from afar.
We stopped A LOT on our last day on the trail...due to cloud cover, we did not have a consistent signal on our GPS. We relied on it to know what roads we needed to be on. Many of them are unmarked. Some have numbers. Either way, our challenge was set for the day. I should probably mention that Jen had paper maps in her backpack. We didn’t really want to go through the rigamoroll of getting them out. Thus, we stopped so Jennifer could check in hopes it was working.
Instead, we used the compass on my phone and going south...I think...

We stopped and asked some campers if they knew how to get out. We took a picture of their handwritten directions to follow it backwards.
We never did use them…we stopped a rider we saw and asked him. Finally we found out way back to tarmac. There was one more fire road to find….we never found it. However, we did find Wind Mountain. When I tell you the wind was strong, that is an understatement. Once again we were being blown all over the road, except this time traffic was heavy. 
Eventually, we made it to Stevenson and our next celebratory meal. 
We finished it!! All SIX sections! Ok, we didn’t go over the Bridge of the Gods. Not sure Jennifer could have handled me riding over the grates of the bridge showing the river way down below. 
This trip was so much more than I imagined it would be. Just a few hours more and we were back where we began.
Our Epic Adventure does not stop here. We unloaded the bikes, took a shower, loaded up the car and started Part 2. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

Testing Forgotten for a Moment of Me

In the past week, I have celebrated with students as they heard the news they passed the test; I have consoled students who are still uncertain about whether they will be promoted or not; I have broken the news to students that they are being considered for retention; and I have called many parents with the news that their child has failed the test yet again. In the midst of all the testing and paperwork, I tend to forget that life goes on outside of the four walls of school. Today, I was reminded with a phone call. Last week I had my first mammogram in ten years. I figured it was the responsible thing to do considering my grandmother had breast cancer and I now have insurance. I laughed and joked with the mammography technologist as she placed stickers on my nipples. I posed in each awkward position with a smile for the camera. As I left the building, I thought no more about it. Until today when I listened to my messages. It seems I need to go back for a diagnostic mammogram i