Skip to main content

WABDR: Section 4

SECTION 4: We meet the boys

Before we get into this section, I need to make a correction in the Section 3 post. The “two small hills” found in the washout section of the trail were actually two craters where the earth dropped away. In other words, at one time the section was flat until the water created two gigantic mouth holes with rock jaws that reached out for anyone who dared enter. (That better Jennifer?)

No wonder she cried when she made it through it alive, high on adrenaline! It was only after the high wore off that she saw “the two small hills” for what they were, two small divots. 

We now return you to the regularly scheduled entry...

For those who have been paying attention to the entire story, remember our “F-it” approach to forgetting the first aid kit? Well, a couple of close calls later, we decided it was prudent to head to WalMart for a first aid kit before facing the day’s challenges. 
First Aid kit secured to my bike (don’t worry, I was ready for the extra weight), we headed to Leavenworth for breakfast and quick tourist stop. If you ever find yourself there, Louie’s is the place to go. Their hot chocolate is mouthwatering...and it also does a great job of warming one up. 
After breakfast, Jen did what she does and went back to the bikes to study the map. It might be a good place for me to mention, I was totally oblivious about how to read the Trail Tech, the GPS that was guiding our way on unmarked dirt roads and narrow paths. I continued on with my camera and Flat Stanley. (He was so quiet, I kept forgetting he was with us.) A few pictures later, we were ready to get back on the trail. 
Back on the trail it was extremely rutty. I imagine those who ride off-road find a rutty road exciting and fun. Due to the previous days’ experiences, I slowed my roll. A lot. There were several ruts I walked through, my feet using either side of the rut to guide my way through it. Even on the good road I went slower anticipating the next washout. 

“Do what you need to do. Remember if you’re not having fun, I’m not having fun.” Jennifer consistently reminded me.

There weren’t many stops this day. However, we did stop for a few minutes to talk to a couple of riders we met on the trail. We said goodbye and each went on our way. As tends to happen on occasion, we took a wrong turn. We were going uphill so there was no good place to turn around…until we got to the top. Come to find out, it was the SUMMIT OF THE MOUNTAIN! 
At the top, we took some pictures and drank some water. I needed it due to the fear-inducing perspiration I was experienced going up to the summit. Even in the midst of the fear was exhilaration. Look at what I was doing! I summited a mountain! On a dual sport bike!!! Once again, we celebrated with a Facebook live video. We even let Flat Stanley get out and see the view.

You saw the picture of the road we rode up. In case you are wondering, yes, I walked the bike three quarters of the way down the short, steep, rocky trail. Once again, Jen reminded me to do what I needed to do. Soon we were back on forest roads and I began to relax and enjoy myself again. 

We rode on for awhile. Soon it was time for another break. Food? Water? Bathroom? Breathe? Check directions? All of the above...and some panning for gold. We stopped at what must have been someone’s campsite at one time and did some exploring. No, we didn’t use the toilet. We opted instead to do as our ancestors did.
Although we found no gold, we did find our way on the BDR. More forest roads until we reached asphalt. When we pulled into our gas stop in Ardenvoir, I smiled when I saw other bikes there. 
Ardenvoir is a small town with a population of a little over 1,000. Yet, the parking lot was full. Cooper’s Cafe is a definite must if you are in the area. They can meet any need you may have: post office, camping supplies, general store stuff, gas, restaurant, bar. Add WiFi to that and it was like we pulled into a resort and social hour had just begun. Once we laid eyes on the men‘s burgers, our mouths were watering for something more than Cliff bars and trail mix. Thus, we ordered ourselves a burger and fries. It was the best meal we had on the whole trip. 
Remember those other bikes we saw? For the next hour, Jennifer and the other riders talked bikes, rides, and discovered people they had in common. Jennifer told them about a rider she heard about while packing up the bikes. He wasn’t as successful as Jennifer was riding through the washout. He broke his leg quite severely and had to be rescued due to being at the bottom of the “slope.” Really?! Let’s call it what it was… a CLIFF! 

And then, they started talking about some new rider that went over a cliff a few years back. Seriously, they were talking about a man who was lucky he was still alive in front of me? I tuned out as they continued to talk about crashes and rescues. Instead, I focused on the friendly, good-looking man that reminded me of my son.Handsome, humble, and kind. I found him very calming. (Yes,  Zeb, I’m talking about you.) All I remember of the story are the visions I had of this unknown man going over the edge of a cliff. If I remember correctly, he was rescued or crawled up. He never rode again. 
The story doesn’t end there. It got really animated when Bill mentioned he was the one who rescued the bike. Jennifer had heard the story from one of her friends. When they realized they had a friend in common, they shared stories for the next hour. Future plans to ride together were formed. Soon it was time for them to get back on the trail. We took a quick picture with Bill, Zeb, Kai, and Tobias and they were on their way. 
They were in such a rush, Zeb left his cigarettes behind. Jennifer stuffed them in my backpack with the intention of smoking one when we got to our campsite. It was also suggested that I smoke one (or ten) to calm my nerves when the “slopes” got to be too much. 

Because we were doing this trip our way with no timetable, we decided to camp for the night on Lake Chelan. i have no idea if that was the end of Section 4 or not. More like, Jen thought it was a good time for me to stop for the day. A quick stop at the city park to figure out where that would be….and, of course, some pictures. 
We stayed on the other side of the lake at the state park. We got camp set up and had ourselves a Cliff bar…didn’t taste quite as good as the teriyaki chicken that our neighbors were cooking. My intention was to do some writing and capture the sunset. Once again, the sunset was not to be. I was sound asleep well before the sun dipped below the horizon. No worries. There would be other sunsets.

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

Testing Forgotten for a Moment of Me

In the past week, I have celebrated with students as they heard the news they passed the test; I have consoled students who are still uncertain about whether they will be promoted or not; I have broken the news to students that they are being considered for retention; and I have called many parents with the news that their child has failed the test yet again. In the midst of all the testing and paperwork, I tend to forget that life goes on outside of the four walls of school. Today, I was reminded with a phone call. Last week I had my first mammogram in ten years. I figured it was the responsible thing to do considering my grandmother had breast cancer and I now have insurance. I laughed and joked with the mammography technologist as she placed stickers on my nipples. I posed in each awkward position with a smile for the camera. As I left the building, I thought no more about it. Until today when I listened to my messages. It seems I need to go back for a diagnostic mammogram i