Skip to main content

Loving the energy of cross country


“Are you the coach? My son dropped out of the race without finishing. He was sitting down rather discouraged when one of your boys, I don’t know which one, walked over to him and told him he did a good job. I meant a lot to my son. I thought it was pretty neat that someone from another team would go out of their way to compliment him.”

All through the races at our meet today, I watched my cross country team cheer on runners not only from their team, but from the other teams as well. When there were only one or two runners out on the course, some of my runners went out on the course to cheer them in. When a girl from another team was in last place struggling to finish due to an asthma attack, they walked on either side of her until she crossed the finish line safely. When a the crowd had been waiting minutes for the last runner in the boys’ race to come in, they went out to find him on the course and ran with him until he reached the stretch where the crowd was. At that point, they disappeared into the mass so the boy would get the cheers.

Meet after meet, practice after practice, I have watched this team go out of their way to show good sportsmanship. They do not do it with impressing others in mind. They do it because it is who they are. It is second nature to support one another – regardless of the team.

Leadership within the team is amazing. It is often the voice of each other they find to be the most powerful. Today it was the voice of an 8th grade boy. During the walk-through of the course, he talked to me about the boys not taking the meets seriously. The amount of respect he has from the boys is huge. Knowing this, I encouraged him to talk to them when the girls were running. He did. Whatever he said worked. For the first time this season, the boys finished a meet in first place. I believe it has everything to do with the way he brought them all together. I thanked him as he was packing up to go home. He gave me the most beautiful smile I have ever seen from him.

Beginning runners are gaining more and more confidence with each meet. I am really bad about giving them their times after each run. Yet each time they run, they are improving. Runners that used to finish in the last five are now finishing in the top 75% in each race. The smiles as they cross the finish line are what I bring home from each meet. The seasoned runners continue to improve, while mentoring the beginners.

So what is it that is making this team so amazing? Is it my coaching? I hardly think so. While I play a small part, so does the positive attitude that each one of them brings to anything we do, whether it be a practice spent running hills or a meet in 98 degree weather. The support of the parents plays a role as well. Parents provide rides to every practice and meet. They are there with cold towels and snacks. Between the three of us – runners, coaches, and parents – the positive energy is taking us to extraordinary places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to