Skip to main content

Leading with the Heart


 PA Announcement: Staff please get your Leading with the Heart nominations in this week. Nominations are due by Tuesday afternoon.
* * * * *
    From: Mandie Victor                     Monday – December 13, 2010    7:30 AM
          T0: 7/8 Grade Teachers
Subject: Leading with the Heart

Hi All,

I see that our Leading with the Heart nominations are due. What is that award and how do we go about nominating somebody?

Smiles,
Mandie
* * * * *

Conversation with the Assistant Principal Tuesday after school

Mandie: What is Leading with the Heart all about?

Mr. A: It is a way to recognize someone that goes above and beyond. Teaching is more than a job to them. It can be anybody – teacher, custodian, cafeteria worker. Nominations are made. If more than one person is nominated, the staff will vote to choose the one they want to represent our school.

Mandie: What happens for the person chosen?

Mr. A: The county has a banquet for all the teachers chosen from each school. They get a nice plaque with the nomination and a picture. It is a nice evening. Last year Tracie McLamb was our representative. One year it was the guidance counselor.

Mandie: Great! I have an idea of who I would like to nominate.

* * * *
Phone call from the principal Tuesday morning

Mrs. S: Mandie, did you have a nomination for Leading for the Heart?

Mandie: Yes, I emailed it to you earlier. There are two people that come to mind for me.

Mrs. S: Ok, I will check that out.

* * * * *

Leading with the Heart Nominees

These are the names that have been submitted:

Melanie Benson – She is very helpful, someone that cares and helps with timesheets and whatever else is needed. If you have a question, she will find the answer.

Dolores Surles – Great lady, she takes time to help and doesn’t mind.

Sharon McLamb – She has one of the cleanest rooms in the school. A very nice person, she has a great smile.

Kelly Hewes – Always helps those who need her. She is impartial and works hard to make sure that her area is emphasized. She attends children’s functions to make sure she knows she is there to support them. She is a nice person to work with.

Mandie Victor - She has given so much to her students, some of whom she doesn’t even teach. She has given up her planning period to help out in Mr. Wilson’s classroom last block and she is constantly mentoring students.

Craig Wilson – He goes out of his way to advocate for students. He makes himself available to them before and after school.

Tracie McLamb – She is always going the extra mile for her students. She is constantly looking for ways to incorporate her students into the “whole school” environment. She seeks for ways to inform the regular ed students about the special need student and she does this by creating opportunities for regular and special ed to work together on school projects.

Sheila Singleton – When we need someone to talk to, she takes time for us. Someone who is devoted to what she does not matter what it is or who it is. She will go the last mile.

My vote for the Leading with the Heart is ____________________________

Please place in Mr. Avery’s box by the end of the day on Thursday.

* * * * *

FACEBOOK STATUS

Mandie Robertson Victor
Can't decide what I am more excited about...my nomination for the 'Leading with the Heart' Award or a 2-hour delay tomorrow!
     


    • Janet Boynton Kittner How nice! That sounds like quite an honor!! And a 2-hour delay sounds very nice, too. They've never done 2-hour delays in our district, but they've figured out that they CAN do that now, so MAYBE they'll try that out tomorrow if we have some iffy weather in the morning!!!  Wednesday at 6:31pm

Wednesday at 6:40pm

    •  Scarlet Simon So another state has officially recognized that you are a very giving person!!
Wednesday at 7:27pm

    •  Pamela Grindle Congrats on the nomination! Anyone driving around in a tobacco field should have been leading with their heart and not the GPS (sorry, can't let go of that scenario!)
Wednesday at 8:05pm

Wednesday at 8:10pm

Thursday at 7:41am

    •  Pat Parker Robertson be happy about both! Congrats, and it looks like you have a full day home, huh?
Thursday at 8:41am

Thursday at 1:08pm

* * * * *
Conversation with the principal Friday afternoon

Mandie: Hello, Mrs. S. How are you feeling? We have missed you the past couple of days.

Mrs. S: Much better.

Mandie: I am heading out to take Patti to the doctor. I think she has the crud that is going around.

Mrs. S: Do you have a few minutes? I need to take a picture of you.

Mandie: Why is that?

Mrs. S: Mr. Avery, can you find a camera. Mandie, come into my office.  You have been chosen as Benson Middle School’s representative for the Leading with the Heart Award. I need to send a picture and a narrative to the central office by the end of the day.

Mandie: Wow! Really? I am honored.

While Mrs. S looks for a camera, Sean begins texting and calling that he and Patti are ready to head to the doctor’s. Ten minutes later a camera is found. (Of course, it is the end of the day. The make-up is worn off; meaning the rosacea is out in full force. The hair has seen better days. The fatigue of a day of teaching on a Friday with a two-hour delay after a snow day right before Christmas break shows on my face.)

Mr. Avery: I found a camera. Let’s go out in front of the Christmas tree to take the picture.

Mandie: (Leaning down to talk to student in trouble) Hey, you will make it through this. I will see you on Monday, right?

Student: I don’t know.

Mandie: Wouldn’t be the same without you in class on my birthday. Or any day for that matter. I miss you when you aren’t here.

Mandie steps out to take the picture before taking Patti to the doctor.

Comments

  1. I so can't wait to get there and meet your team and especially the kids. Congratulations kiddo! Love ya and look forward to visit. Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

Aging sucks.....or does it?

Upon first thought, watching a parent age sucks. Unnoticeable at first. A bit of a stoop, some creaking in the knees, whitening of the hair. The doctor’s visits begin, as do the pills One for high blood pressure, another to thin the blood, and a handful of vitamins to top it off. The signs are there, but it is easier to see him as he has always been. My father, a pillar of strength. Until my pillar was knocked off-kilter. A simple surgery and the mortality of my father looked me square in the eye when the drugs took hold of his brain. Amidst his fidgeting and confusion, I realized…AGING SUCKS! And then….enlightenment dawned upon me….AGING IS BEAUTIFUL Wrinkles tell of smiles while silver hair speaks a life of memories. Knees creaky after years of kneeling in prayer, offering up a lap, and climbing up the stairs for one more kiss goodnight. Almost forty-eight years of memories nestled in my heart. Memories of my father. Taking us to church each Sunday Building and fixing