Skip to main content

T & I (In which the 'T' overshadows the 'I')


Breasts. Boobs. Tits. Melons. Ta-tas. Whatever you want to call them, I can’t get them off my mind. Not anybody’s breasts in particular. Mine. Today I went for my diagnostic mammogram. Most people I spoke to told me not to worry about it. Many friends told me they have had to go back for one, only to find out it’s nothing. I was all set to have some fun with it and wear tassels to my next appointment. (Until I found out tassels were $20!! The tassels would have to wait for another time.)
 
“I was all set up to do a diagnostic on both of your breasts, but it looks like I only need to do one.” Alarms started screaming in my head even though what she said came as no surprise. I had found something irregular on the one to be offered up just a few hours before. I kept smiling as I went into my first pose. For those who have had a screening mammogram done, it is really no big deal. Your boob gets smooshed like a pancake and they take a picture. There is very little pain involved. I figured a diagnostic was the same thing.
 
And then the paddle came down. Imagine two bricks pressing together on a sensitive area of your body. Don’t stop there. Add some pressure. Lots of pressure. “Ooww! Wow! This hurts!”  I went back 14 years and started using the breathing techniques I was taught to use during childbirth. Like childbirth, feeling intense pain once wasn’t enough. I had to go through it another three times.
 
“I am going to go show these to the radiologist. Why don’t you wait where you changed.”
 
I sat down in the tiny changing room trying not to wrinkle my interview outfit I would need to put on soon. I held the snazzy hospital gown shut and began the long process of waiting. I really didn’t expect to hear anything about what was on the film. I thought she was going to see if the pictures came out okay.
 
“We were able to compress it out of two of the pictures. However, there is still one that shows something. The radiologist will be speaking to your doctor. I am sure you doctor will be in touch with you.”
 
What if it’s cancer?!  I don’t have a job! My insurance will run out at the end of July. What would it be like if I had to have all of my boob cut off? What if they are catching it too late? How would I spend my last few months if it is terminal? My mind would not stop spinning and I had a job interview in an hour! It was a good thing I had to drive for 45 minutes. It gave me time to give myself a reality check.
 
By the time I walked into the school, I was ready to get the job. The interview went well. I wore the black suit with the polka dots. I was relaxed and answered all their questions. I hope my passion for teaching shone through. I really liked the principal and teachers I interviewed with. I will know at the end of the week if I get the job.
 
In the meantime, I continue to fill out applications for this summer as well as the fall. I will find out the next step for my medical stuff and I will face whatever I need to face when the time comes. Until then, I will keep repeating what has become my mantra, It is what it is

Comments

  1. I LIKE YOUR OUTLOOK ON THINGS. i KNOW YOU WILL TAKE THIS IN STRIDE. gOOD LUCK ON BOTH. tHINKING OF YOU. lOVE YOU. tHANK YOU FOR GETTING THE MAMOGRAM DONE. Marguerite

    ReplyDelete
  2. Still proud of you and will continue to pray for good outcomes for both. Love ya, Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to