Skip to main content

Top Ten Reasons Why I Have the Best Dad in the World


Happy Father’s Day, Dad! This one’s for you.

10. I love to sing. While I was in high school, my dad encouraged me to go on the road with him and sing at area churches. After our concert, we went to the homes of complete strangers for lunch. I followed my dad’s example of eating whatever was set before us whether it was a five course Sunday dinner or half-cooked spaghetti.
9. He showed me it is never too late to go back to school. My dad got his education in doing what he loved when he was in his 40s. It took him a few more years than expected, but he never gave up and became a great church leader.
 
8. I learned the joy of moving and meeting new people through him. We moved several times while growing up. Each time, I went to a new school. I met new people. Many who have become life-long friends. In my adult life I find myself doing the same. From Maine to Pennsylvania to Colorado to North Carolina I have had once-in-a-lifetime experiences with people I have met along the way.
7. I left home several times. My first attempt was for college. When that didn’t work out, I was welcomed back with open arms. After having Sean and leaving a bad relationship, my dad’s outstretched arms opened in a welcoming embrace. Years later, my family of five was welcomed into their home again.
 
6. When I was 17, my father mortified me when he sat down with my boyfriend and a couple of other friends and told them he did not want his daughter in any partying situations. I hummed to myself while he talked that day. It was only after having children of my own that I realized how much love he showed that day. 
5. Throughout my life, I have always been able to count on my dad. He is always there to lend a helping hand whether I am moving yet again or am in need of help fixing up the house. More importantly, he listens and offers guidance whenever I need it. 
4. He is an example of love and acceptance for all people. I have seen my dad welcome many people into his life. It matters not whether the person is rich, poor, Christian, an alcoholic, victim of abuse, atheist, gay, straight, adulterer, or divorcee. He does not judge. He embodies how a Christian should act.
3. My dad is my biggest cheerleader. He believes in me and my atypical decisions whether it be teaching in Uganda, splitting up the family for work, or working 12 hour days to be the best teacher I can be. Not only does he tell me how wonderful I am, he tells those around him as well.
 
2. When I told him I was pregnant (and not married), he pulled me into his arms and gave me a great big hug. No judgment, only love.
1. My dad loves and accepts me for who I am.

Comments

  1. None of this surprises me a bit. I always liked your Dad! I would imagine that, from what I remember of your father (and what I have seen from your Mom's comments--I pay attention to such things), they have a lot to do with the lovely woman that you are!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to