Skip to main content

The Honeymoon is Over


Maybe it was the activities that required talking. Or maybe the fact that Mule Days are right around the corner. Whatever it was, Room 607 was a bit on the nosy side today.  My 7th graders groaned when they saw the textbooks on their desks. Little did they know, we would be doing a drama activity to go along with one of the stories in the book. Students hung on to every word as I read. Eager to know what was going to happen next. Curious about what their crazy teacher would have them do to show their understanding. Had a stranger walked into the room during one of our dramas, he or she might have heard me ‘talking country’ as the radio host on a talk show program. They might have seen the students taking on the persona from characters in the story. Whatever was going on, it was apparent students were engaged with the story. And yet, the fear of testing began to sneak in.

In the past, when the stakes have not been so high, I have taught in this same way and my students have done fine on the state testing. Yet, this year with such an emphasis on testing, I am questioning myself. I KNOW that these activities get their minds working in ways that doing practice questions for the test never will. Why do I doubt myself? The students are engaged. They are writing. They are reading. And still in the back of my mind, I wonder. Is it enough?

It took me ten hours to plan lessons for this week. Those ten hours took up my entire day on Sunday. Other teachers are telling me they just photocopy the plans from the textbook. SNOOZE! Teaching that way would be incredibly boring. No wonder students are finding classes to be dull. Yet, I understand why they use the textbook. Rarely is my planning period spent planning. Most days there is some sort of meeting going on. If I am not meeting, I am correcting the  work of 75 students. After school is spent coaching – a choice I made all on my own. I know if I had my resources here, it would cut down on the time I spend preparing for class. However, I don’t think it would cut it down by much. I would still be spending time looking for the perfect story to match the personality of the class I am teaching.

Add to all that, we Language Arts teachers are supposed to be meeting once a week and all teaching the same skill at the same time. We have yet to meet. We are all doing our own thing in the classroom. I am the only LA teacher in my part of the building. I have no idea what the others are doing. My planning period falls at a different time from theirs. I know I need to make these connections happen, but am not sure how to do that outside of the 20 minutes we share for lunch – in the cafeteria with the students.

I have made a commitment to me that when I get home at 6 or so every evening, I will not work on schoolwork. I will take some time with Patti and have some time to myself.  An attempt to keep my sanity and not become all absorbed in school. Again I wonder, if this is where I should be doing more. More as a professional. More as a parent. More as an individual.

For the last ten years of teaching, I have been on the top of my game. This year I feel like a first year teacher all over again.  I know I am where I am meant to be, yet I feel inadequate and like I need to be doing so much more. 

Comments

  1. Mandie don't feel alone. I think that all of us teachers who put everything into it, (and not just teach to a test) feel the same way! I teach outside of the box too....and I question myself everyday.... but I know that my students are learning so much more by using an emergent curriculum that they are INTERESTED in.... don't doubt yourself......Joyce

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mandie Don't be so hard on yourself. You know how all your other classes over the years have come out. You can do it. You are one super teacher who put her students out front. Show your co-workers how it is done. Love you. Miss you. Marguerite oh yes and remember you are one super mother also.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Guess what Mandie? If I were in your classroom I would love my learning experience. I just know that for a fact. I am learning so much from your notes on your blog. Yup! I'm your dad but so grateful that I can still from my kids. Tell your kids for me that I am a 74 year old kid that wishes he could be in their class with them. Luv ya, keep up the good work. Dad

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to