Skip to main content

I Need Books!


Books. It has come down to the plain and simple need for books. My books would be best, but if that is not possible, I need to find some others. I need books on hunting and fishing. Skateboarding and biking. Princesses and love. I need scary stories, sports stories, and ghost stories. Unfortunately, there are not many to be found in our school library.

I took the kids to the library today. I work hard to be able to match a student with a book they might like. I had so many ideas for books for each of them!! Yet, when looking on the shelf, they were nowhere to be found. One of the girls said something about “not having any poetry books for black kids in our school.” I immediately asked if she liked Alicia Keyes, a black pop singer. Her eyes lit up and she said, “YES!” Somewhere in Colorado or Missouri is my book of poetry written by Alicia Keyes. In those boxes one would also find books on hunting, fishing, X-Games, princesses, ghosts, and a plethora of other topics my students are interested in. Unfortunately, they were not so easily found in the school Media Center.

I am determined. Slowly, but surely I will build up my classroom library all over again until I can get my books. I will start small by ordering magazine subscriptions. (If any of my readers are interested in donating a subscription, send me an e-mail and I will let you know the school address.) I have found that these students will read (and write) when it is something they are interested in. To me it is a no-brainer. Sadly, the emphasis our nation has put on testing has caused many schools to steer away from it. Ours included.

Not even two weeks into the year at a new school and I am already going against the grain. I use the textbooks as a last resort. I do not want students thinking that reading and writing come from a big, heavy book assigned by the teacher. I want them to pick up a book, magazine, or newspaper and develop a love (or a least a joy) of reading. I want them to get excited about sharing their knowledge of hunting and fishing in North Carolina through writing a guidebook for visitors. I want them to forget they are in school and get immersed in something they are passionate about (or at least interested in) through authoring a coloring book on animals or princesses. I believe, as teachers, we all want this. However, when those textbooks are so easily within reach and planning time is at a minimum, it is a challenge for many to go outside the box.

Already, I can’t imagine leaving the school. I found myself thinking about next year and how I would like all three of my classes to be the ‘inclusion kids.’ The kids who see reading and writing as a chore and would rather be doing anything but school. I haven’t yet let the complication of my personal life to enter into the equation at this time. I am doing what I do and embracing it all – even the mountains of paperwork, policies, and assessments.

I am giving these kids everything I am as a teacher. In return, they are giving me more and more of themselves everyday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to