Skip to main content

"Is this the soccer coach?"


“Mrs. Victor, I hope you enjoyed your lunch because there is a parent in the office that would like to see you. I have been told to cover your class for as long as it takes.”

Immediately, thoughts of ‘What have I done to upset a parent?’ invaded my mind. It was a choice for the students about whether to clean the gum or not. I haven’t yet read a book with anything controversial in it. Uh-oh. I have been creating a ‘grafetti wall’ about gangs with my 8th graders. Walking into the office I saw the assistant principal speaking with a woman on the big side, bleached blonde hair ready for another treatment, tattoos on her neck, arm, and hand. “Is this the soccer coach?” I hadn’t even thought about the possibilities with soccer!

“Hi, I’m Mrs. Victor.” In the fleeting moment it took me to introduce myself, I mentally ran through the soccer season. “I am __’s mother. My son will not be coming to soccer practice tonight. I have a few questions for you.” Guiding her into the conference room, I continued to silently question what this could all be about. This boy had not yet begun to play on the team. In no time she got down to business. She had read a rather graphic note written to her son from a girl. Did I know anything about this? She was also concerned about the daughter of one of her friends having a boyfriend and talking about things of a sexual nature.

Wanting me to understand her past and why this was not acceptable to her, she told me about her past. She was a mother at 15 years old. I sat and listened as her story went further back and included much more than motherhood. I was reminded of so many girls I have worked with – both in the group home and in my classroom. I was impressed with her strength and courage. For such a young woman who has been through so much, she is working hard to do what is best for her children. For the most part. She continued talking about her concern for her son’s behaviors and actions of late. I hoped I kept a neutral face when she told me he would be getting a spanking for the first time in years because of some of his behavior. I assured her, much of what he is doing is developmentally normal. However, I cautioned her about shutting down the lines of communication with him. I thought about when Sean and I had difficulty communicating in his teen years. We used a journal to discuss some of the tough stuff. Unfortunately, they both have pretty severe learning disabilities, which would make it more of a chore than anything else for them. I wracked my brain trying to come up with another way for them. Unfortunately, I came up empty.

Apparently, when the teacher was told to take as long as needed, that wasn’t quite accurate. The principal came in after about 15 minutes. We subtly tag-teamed and she took over the conversation.

My 8th grade students were quite excited to see me upon my return. We had begun reading ‘The Outsiders’ before lunch and they wanted to get back to it. We talked about the two gangs for a bit before I mentioned we would be doing an activity on Monday where they would have the opportunity to dress up as one side or the other. I can’t wait to take them outside and have the greasers and the socs race each other in many different competitions. Of course, the socs will have the advantage each time.

In my lower level 7th grade class, I am getting down to the nitty-gritty with reading strategies. Many of these students have no idea how to visualize a story. So different from the students I have been teaching in Colorado. I do much of the reading to them. I have found an answer for the students who are so below reading level that they are pulled half-way through class. They will stay in my class for the quick write and the beginning of whatever else we do for exposure then they will go to the room next door with another EC teacher who comes into my classroom and hangs out for about 25 minutes before taking them anywhere. In the time she usually watches, she will give them what they need so desperately – time to read. These students will not speak out in my class. They are embarrassed by their disability. However, I did see many faces light up when I told them Tom Cruise has a learning disability making it difficult for him to read. Hopefully, this knowledge and the new strategy helps these students and gives them what they need.

Thankfully Friday has arrived. It has been a week of meetings and soccer games, which equates to many late nights getting home. I am looking forward to sleeping in, spending time with Patti, battling the ants, and, of course, more lesson planning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to