Skip to main content

Mule Days



“You have to move to Benson, Mandie. They have Mule Days. 3,000 people in the town, but 60,000 during Mule Days,” Jamie in his infinite wisdom and a little help from Google informed me.

The students have been talking about it since the first day of school. I was asked, “You going to Mule Days?” at least three times a day. Each day would bring a different student coming into class stating they had purchased their boots, found a camping site, would be taking their horses, etc. One boy stated he hoped I liked rednecks because it was a large gathering of them. I like all color necks; however, he wasn’t kidding about all the red ones that would be in town for the weekend.

The big event began on Thursday. In spite of this, all week long people and horses had been coming into town. Schools in Benson were let out early on Thursday with no school on Friday. Nine students out of my normal twenty-five were absent on Thursday while many more left early. Parents came to pick up their children in golf carts. I was a bit disappointed not to have any come on horseback.

I made it through the workshop day on Friday and was soon on my way home. Patti and I hung out for a bit before deciding we would venture into town for supper and to discover a bit about Mule Days. I was rather surprised to get into town so easily and find a parking spot so close by. We wandered around and bought ourselves cowboy hats. We were in awe at the horses and riders amongst the people. Confederate flags everywhere – hanging over booths, in the back of pick-up trucks, on clothing, etc… Hells Angels represented. Golf carts speeding through. Country music blared from the speakers. The smell of horses mingled with that of BBQ.  Many kids from school saw us and called us over to talk. We had ourselves some supper – delicious BBQ chicken for me. As it started to get dark, we knew we needed to head home. I had heard stories about drunk drivers on horses and didn’t want to get involved in any of that. 


Heading to the car, we spotted a mechanical bull. I began toying with the idea of riding it while watching a few others. I finally decided, why not? Patti wasn’t feeling quite so adventurous. I waited until it was my turn thinking it really didn’t look all that hard. I even talked to a couple of girls who looked like they knew what they were doing. They encouraged me to go for it. I did. I kicked off my sandals, put my hat down, and jumped on. Spectators were crowded around the ring to see what this crazy teacher from the north could do. The bull went one way. I went the other. This went on for some time. I would like to think it was some time. The reality can be measured in seconds. I am pretty sure I fell to the mat with grace and style. Doubtful. I climbed back on for my second go-round. A repeat of the first. As I was walking out of the ring proud of myself, I heard cheers and clapping. Everyone was in on the fun with me. One more thing crossed off my bucket list.


Saturday dawned bright and early. The day of the parade. I would be riding a float with some of my soccer players, along with the football and volleyball players. We waited for two hours before climbing on the float and beginning our journey. Camera in hand, I sat on the float and marveled at the number of people crowded in this small town. The crowds were six and seven people deep along the parade route. Spectators watched from golf carts, the curb, back of pick-up trucks (confederate flags waving), and anywhere else they could find a spot. The route was short, but the parade was long. At the end of the route, we jumped off the floats and watched what was behind us for a bit before deciding it was time to get Patti on the bull before the crowds began. (Unfortunately, it wasn’t up and running. Must be a nighttime thing.)


No town celebration would be complete without carnival rides. It is no different here. It took us awhile, but we found the rides. Apparently, they didn’t open until 12, because everything was shut down. We hung out for a bit, but decided to save the rides for Sunday when Patti could go with a friend and get all the rides she wanted at one low price. Back down to the festivities we went, totally unprepared for the masses of people and the 98 degree weather. I am always up for a good adventure, but between the heat, the masses of people, having seen everything the night before, and the fact I had no idea how we were going to get back to the car (parked at the beginning of the parade route), I was ready to head home. , That would wait until Patti got herself a henna and we enjoyed a funnel cake and chocolate milkshake. 


We wandered around for a bit longer until we were ready to figure out how to get to our car. I was not worried. I had my phone with the GPS, which has guided me on several occasions. Today was not to be one of those times. Due to the number of people infringing upon the local cell towers, I could do nothing beyond a phone call or text. I kept an eye out for a golf cart or motorcycle to flag down to take us to our ride. No such luck. Patti thought she knew the way. I followed. I am happy to say she did. A mile or so later, we got to our car and headed home.

Dirty laundry awaited us, which meant a trip to the Laundromat after having some down time at home first. At about 6:00pm, we got into the car and headed to the next town over to do our wash. We knew better than to go to our usual Laundromat during Mule Days. A little before 9:00 our laundry was done and we were ready to head home. Rather than go the interstate, I chose to take the shorter route. Shorter until we reached Benson, that is. I had forgotten where the road would take us. We found ourselves in a long line of traffic reminiscent of the parade. Pick-up trucks with flags flying, rednecks drinking, and horns honking lined the street. A side street approached. I took it. We could find our way. Or not.

After taking many turns and realizing I had no idea where we were, I tried the navigator on my phone again. Still no luck. Patti called Tony to have him be our GPS from afar while I stopped at the next pick-up truck of random strangers I saw to ask for directions. Random strangers beckoned me to follow them. I did. Patti worried that they would take us into the woods and abandon us. (I think she is reading too many vampire books.) We followed. They pointed us on our way. Tony stayed on the phone following along on MapQuest. 3o minutes later, we found our way home.

I have experienced my first Mule Days. Although, I never did see a mule. . .

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to