Skip to main content

Thank You, Wes


Yesterday was 9/11. Throughout the day people posted status updates that have to do with remembrance. All were respectful, somber, and full of the memory of that horrible day. Yet, they were also different. Some focused on remembering people who died on that awful day, while others took it one step further and reminded us we were all affected. The one that grabbed my attention and my thoughts was written by my friend, Wes Stover. “The only way to heal the still gaping and bleeding nine year old wound of this day is forgiveness, reason, love and peace.”

Throughout the day, I kept thinking of what he had written and how forgiveness, reason, love, and peace can change the way we view the world around us. Now to figure out how to share that lesson with my students….

Yesterday in class, we were talking about problems in their world both close to home and in the world at large. (We were brainstorming topics for a problem/solution essay.) One of the boys piped up, “Obama is ruining our country.” As I was going deeper with the student having him get more specific, another student pipes up, “He is a Muslim.” The classroom volume went up 200 decibels as the discussion continued and kids on both side of the issue tried to be heard. (So much different from my class in Colorado where the majority of them were all about Obama.) As I reminded them we were not going to make it personal and our classroom was a ‘kind zone’ another student wanted to share a joke she heard in church. When I asked her if it was school appropriate, she said it would be better if she shared it with me another time.  Many people I love dearly portray what I think of the qualities a Christian should exhibit. Yet, I was saddened when hearing that jokes inappropriate for school are being told in church. When we lose sight of loving everyone around us, what does that mean for our world? Our country? Our communities? Our schools? How can we turn the attitudes of so many around to forgive? To know the contentment of peace? I believe it can be done through the way we live our lives. Through example. I am making it my goal to show not only my students, but also everyone I come in contact with the forgiveness, reason, love and peace that Wes mentions in his status update.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Top 10 of 2010

At the stroke of midnight 2010, I was in New York City celebrating the year with a bunch of teachers from Uganda. I looked around me wondering how my life had gotten so good. My life was turning out quite different from the way I planned it 30 years before. Little did I know that 2010 was the year my life would begin anew. The year of reconnections. 10. The Unexpected From chickens to unemployment, private school to public school, house of four to a house of two, Sean moving back and a pimping Caddy, the unexpected continued throughout the year. It began with Stu Pecker Feathers, the chicken that wandered into our yard in the middle of the city of Pueblo. Stu found herself a place to roost and laid a dozen eggs before we said goodbye. As the school year ended, I found myself questioning if private school was where I wanted to be and Tony found himself out of a job. I found myself living in North Carolina with Patti, while Tony lived in New Hampshire with Sana. Surprisingly, Patti thriv...

Aging sucks.....or does it?

Upon first thought, watching a parent age sucks. Unnoticeable at first. A bit of a stoop, some creaking in the knees, whitening of the hair. The doctor’s visits begin, as do the pills One for high blood pressure, another to thin the blood, and a handful of vitamins to top it off. The signs are there, but it is easier to see him as he has always been. My father, a pillar of strength. Until my pillar was knocked off-kilter. A simple surgery and the mortality of my father looked me square in the eye when the drugs took hold of his brain. Amidst his fidgeting and confusion, I realized…AGING SUCKS! And then….enlightenment dawned upon me….AGING IS BEAUTIFUL Wrinkles tell of smiles while silver hair speaks a life of memories. Knees creaky after years of kneeling in prayer, offering up a lap, and climbing up the stairs for one more kiss goodnight. Almost forty-eight years of memories nestled in my heart. Memories of my father. Taking us to church each Sunday Building and fixing ...

Fiery Passion

It is 10:44am on Wednesday morning. I sit here in a darkened classroom with no power. During the last 24 hours I have walked a student down to the office with a big knot on her head as the result of a fight; counseled the other half of the fight on different choices she could have made; been an object of a discussion between two teachers; backed my car into a ditch; and restrained a girl. Oh, yeah, and I taught about Civil Rights a bit also. My life continues to be an adventure! Fast forward nine hours. My day at school has come to a close giving me a few moments to sit and reflect on the adventure of the last day and a half. I continue to contemplate what could be done to teach the girls how to embrace the fiery passion they have within rather than to let it out through fighting. Let’s take a walk back through time….. In every other school I have taught in, teachers have a lunch break. This is not the case at BMS. Teachers eat with the students, albeit at a separate table. We...