Skip to main content

Looking for the Words


empty places
empty spaces
taking the time
to miss loved ones
phone calls
a text
an email
words written in sand
“I Love You”
the day continues
as I put away the memories
of loved ones far away

reaching out to embrace all
I have close to me
Patti
windows open, music blaring
voices raised in song
while cruising down the road
the Atlantic so close
beach sand between my toes
the music of the waves lulling me to sleep

the day continues
as I dream of the blessings
of everything new and so near

reflecting on the start of all
I gained time with my brother
Jamie who took me
road trippin’ from GA to NC
awaiting me
no place to live
no mode of transportation
knowing it would work out
a smiling face at McDonalds
taking me to a Cadillac
on hold just for me
SOLD
further down the road
a house
on hold just for me
ready to move in the next day
a stranger-soon-to-be-colleague
opening her house to me
until I had one of my own
soon the smiling faces of students
laughter filling my classroom
I became part of a team
sunshine each day
new friends and old friends
making the world a little smaller

the day continues
as I wake up on the beach
and realize
I LOVE MY LIFE

Now if I could just find the words…

Comments

  1. Oh Mandie what a way you have with words to express yourself. But anyone who really knows you know that you not only love your life you love your family, students and friends also. I am so proud of what you have accomplished in the short time I have known you. KEEP ON GOING. yOU WILL ALL BE TOGATHER AS A COMPLETE FAMILY ONE OF THESE DAYS.
    Love you and miss you. Marguerite

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to