Skip to main content

Teachable Moments


One of my favorite times to teach is when something important to the kids comes along. It has been my understanding since school began that there was a ‘no gum’ policy. Because I always follow the rules, each day I would ask several students spit their gum in the trash. (Personally, I could care less if they are chewing gum.) This morning it was announced that each teacher would set their own policy when it came to gum chewing.

“Mrs. Victor, can we chew gum in your class?” was asked in every one of my classes today. By the time the 8th graders came along, I was ready. I had them turn over their chairs and look at all the gum underneath. I told them I wasn’t cool with more gum being chewed in my class as I already had enough bubblegum sculptures on the bottom of the chairs and tables. They came up with the idea to clean it off. For the next ten minutes, those who chose, scraped gum off the bottom of chairs and tables. (I am willing to bet, some of these same students were also responsible for the need for the clean-up.) Cleaning done and chewing on a piece of gum, a question was brought up. Should the students who had not helped clean be able to chew gum? The perfect time to teach how to write a persuasive essay. Of course, I did not use the E-word until it was all written.

Throughout the whole lesson, they were attentive and involved in writing. All but one boy, who for some reason, was getting frustrated and shutting down. He transferred into my class the end of last week. Students transferring in really have no idea what to expect and are often surprised by what happens in my class. I do not know if it because he is new to class or because of the way I teach that causes his good behavior. The EC teacher who team teaches with me states she can’t believe how well-behaved he is. Apparently, he has something of a reputation of a non-stop talking whiner in his other classes. I have seen the whiner come out on occasion, but he has been a great student overall. I knew he would be okay in my class when he wanted me to meet his mother after football practice. She smiled when I confirmed that I was his new Language Arts teacher.

Lessons don’t just happen in the classroom, they also happen in the soccer field. We lost our game yesterday 11-0. One of the biggest reasons for that loss was boys who did not work together as a team. Many of them did not know each other’s names. Several were lazy and just wanted to sit on the bench. I did not have time to change up for practice today. However, I worked them harder and in a much more elementary fashion than I had all season. The goal of the day was for them to know each other’s names, communicate on the field, and learn how to play defense. They showed respect, heart, and determination. We shall see how well they picked up the concept of defense at tomorrow’s game.

I am happy to note that I received my last paycheck on Friday. However, since it was written on an out-of-state bank, the money is being held until the 20th. Three weeks after payday I will finally be able to spend the money I earned last school year. It’s all good. I get my first paycheck from Benson tomorrow.

While my need to be an extraordinary teacher overwhelms me at times, I have begun to look at the year as a ‘teachable moment’ where I am the student and Benson Middle School is my teacher. 

Comments

  1. I know what you mean about students needing to know expectations. I have freshman who did not know what a rubric was and have never heard of the Maine Learning Results. I am taking the time from their science class with me to teach them about the importance of high school credits and what that means. I have also been dropping information about PSATs and SATs and collegeboard.com. These students have not attended public high school before so I am guessing that is why. They have a lot to learn and I am here for them. They have taught me a lot already too. I am learning to remember to take them from where they are and move them forward as far as they can go. It is important for them to learn the basics, regardless of any perceived pressures to cover more new material. They can not build on what they do NOT know. I too am looking forward to a great year:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Next Chapter Begins...

The first round of tears happened during the 8 th grade promotion. It has been such a wonderful year with all of them – 7 th and 8 th graders alike. The second round of tears came when I learned I do not have a contract for next year. I will not be returning to Benson Middle School unless the displaced teachers do not jump at the chance for my classroom.   Right after she told me, I did my best to remain professional and keep the tears at bay. Unfortunately, they came anyway. About the time the tears hit my eyes, an email a dear friend sent me when I first wrote about the contract situation came to mind: “There is always a reason for things. Maybe God wants you to move on and inspire other students.” I love what she says. I feel that with my whole being. However, it did not make hearing that I have no job any easier. So now what? I am floating off the edge again. My family began the year in two different states. We are reunited again in North Carolina. Both Tony and I with

WABDR: Preparations

PREPARATIONS AND PACKING I know you are ready to hear about this epic adventure of ours. Believe me, I was ready to hop on my bike (I named her Hanaa, meaning “happiness, joy, and peace”) and go. But before one is ready to go into the Wild, preparations need to be made. Before I get into the preparations, let’s talk about the importance of naming your bike. My Shadow back home is named, Layla. I can hear you singing along to the song right now. That is exactly where her name came from, she eases my worried mind. Therefore, it was important for me to find the perfect name for the machine I would be spending the next couple of weeks with. Jennifer, my sister, had been calling it Lil Ripper. That name was not going to work for me. I saw the peace sign on the key chain and immediately started researching names meaning “peace, love, and happiness” - all necessary for life in my opinion. And I didn’t want to die on this trip. My thinking was a bit of peace, love and happiness would

The Hardest One Yet

 From the time I began this blog, I made the conscious choice that I would be honest and open in the moment – whatever is going on. For the most part, I have done that.  After struggling about whether to write about this particular challenge (let alone share it), I chose to do the uncomfortable and do both – write and share. “Your certification has not even been processed yet. Probably won’t happen until at least the middle of January.”  I took a deep breath as I heard those words a couple weeks ago and I realized what that meant. Christmas would look very different than originally planned. The retroactive pay that Santa was counting on to make the holiday something special for our family would not be coming. I took a deep breath as I hung up the phone and walked out of my classroom, despair bombarding the hope and excitement of the upcoming holiday. A tornado of thoughts began whirling in my head as I walked to the guidance office. Playing with our budget in my head trying to